Tuesday 18 June 2013

NO ROMANCE WITHOUT FINANCE!

'Guy, you are not romantic!'
Yeah, I get to hear that often, from a lot of my girlfriends over the years. Usually, this gets blurted out when I forget to call them first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Or when I get so engrossed in a book or a TV series whilst she sits beside me feeling bored. Or when I forget to pick up a gift when I go shopping for my vitals. Or when I forget her birthday! Or when am busy, deep in thought about my troubles, my challenges, my future and she is lying beside me yapping about some funky wedge that Bianca wore to Sunday service or so.....
Now what beats the hell out of me is the way our girls, Nigerian girls (or is it an African thing?) take this romance thing out of context. Where do they get their fantasies from? American romance films? South American soaps? Or from Mills and booms? For God's sake, Prince Charming only exists in Hollywood!
In our climes, when a man has to face the daily hurdle of poor and untimely paid remuneration, a devilish boss at work, the dangers of commuting on our pot-holed infested roads, spending so much to buy fuel for his generator so he can stay connected to his super sports channel and your African Magic, just mention a few, the last thing on his mind at the end of the day is holding your hands and rocking you to sleep.
Now am not saying a man shouldn't make serious sacrifices to keep his love life aflame but when the standard our girls use to measure a romantic is drawn from a society where a man is not his own government (providing for basic amenities that makes life livable), then my missy should try to appreciate the fact that if I don't whisper 'I love you!' morning, noon and night to her everyday, am doing so much more to stay true. At least my actions should speak volumes, isn't it?
And sadly, for a fact most of these dames that accuse guys of being stiff don't have an iota of the Cinderella charm that could draw out the Romeo trait in men!
So baby, when next you want to accuse me of not being a good lover boy , remember am hustling to get the finance to fuel our romance!

No comments:

Post a Comment