Sunday 7 July 2013

AKWA IBOM 'AYAYA'

It feels so good to rise up from my own bed today.
The last three nights or so had me waking up from a dingy guest room mattress somewhere in Abuja, the nation's capital where I had gone to attend the National Chartered Administrators Conference at the prestigious International Conference Centre.
Truthfully, this was the first time I had ever visited the Federal Capital Territory and I must say it held a lot of allure for me....with the flyovers, high rise buildings, paved and undulating road networks, and the mighty Headquarter offices of all the country's big name government ministries, departments and agencies in full view!
The beauty of Abuja is in its planning, with so many private housing estates and luxury apartments that I enquired about only to find out that one needed an arm, a leg and an extra pound of flesh to buy or even rent, for that matter.
The contrast between Abuja and our commercial capital, Lagos, was immediately obvious right from when we arrived the commercial motor park and alighted. There were no signs of that crazy level of rowdiness which automatically puts one on red alert.
The taxi service throughout my stay was tops and very affordable, especially at night. Well, I only kept late night once and touched a couple of places, include 'Blake'- a hang out cum club.
Well, except for the heavy government presence, size of the metropolis and probably, taxi service, Abuja was more like home.  It didn't give me too much of the 'wow' effect I had hoped for which makes me realize what development does to the mind of a person.
Perhaps, maybe in the past when my home state, Akwa Ibom was just an under developed enclave, I would have gapped at the scintillating scenery of the great FCT ,but with a dynamic and purpose driven government (at least in the area of infrastructural development) at the helms of affairs, I sure didn't look or feel like a ' Johnny-Just-Come'.
So, I guess you would understand why I felt validated as the AKTC bus that brought me back to town yesterday crossed over the Goodluck Jonathan flyover along Ikot ekpene road, Uyo.
And I believe you will agree with me when I say (or sing) 'Akwa Ibom Ayaya' anytime we run into one another because of a truth, Akwa Ibom is beautiful!
Feels good to be home!

2 comments:

  1. Blessing Etaka7 July 2013 at 02:29

    Hahahahahaha@"Johnny just come"....there's no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No bi small johnny just come. I feel u. yah! Akwa Ibom Ayaha

    ReplyDelete